Advice for Renting a Property

When you move into a rented property it is important to be fully aware of your rights as a tenant and the legal obligations of your landlord. This article contains some helpful advice from Gas Boilers Servicing for renting a property.

Your landlord is legally required to have an up to date gas safety certificate for the property you are renting.  This should be updated annually. Although this is not your personal responsibility, it is important that you are willing to allow a trained engineer access to your rented property. As a tenant renting a property you should legally be provided with a record of the annual gas safety check. This should be provided within 28 days of the service being carried out, or to new tenants before arrival.

Another requirement of your landlord is to ensure that your boiler receives regular services. During a gas boiler service an expert engineer will ensure that all parts of your boiler are functioning properly and will check for carbon monoxide leaks. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colourless, poisonous gas which can cause breathing problems, headaches, nausea, confusion and in severe cases death. Any gas work carried out on your rented property should be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer.

General maintenance of pipes and flues is also the responsibility of your landlord. Even if you only have a short let period of a few weeks it is still essential to carry out these services. If the property is only being rented for a period of less than 28 days landlords must display the gas safety certificate in a prominent place so that it can be checked by tenants.

Boiler Service